If your Ford car key is not working, chances are that it has run out of battery and the battery needs to be replaced. Car key batteries can easily be replaced at home as long as you have secured the right type of battery for your car key. It would be helpful to check your owner’s manual for battery requirements before proceeding and have a screwdriver handy. If you are unsure about the process of changing the batteries of your car keys, here are some instructions to help you get started.
Fold Key Blade FOB
- For Ford car keys with a fold key blade FOB, simply squeeze the key-release buttons which can be found on the side of the key fob.
- Using a flathead screwdriver, pop the cover of the key fob off. Do this by inserting the end of the screwdriver into the side of the key and rotating the screwdriver. Once the cover has been removed, you will be able to see the car key battery.
- Using the screwdriver again, remove the battery.
- Then, insert the replacement battery, checking with the owner’s manual to make sure that you have the correct battery. Ensure that the new battery is in the same position as the previous battery, with the plus side facing up.
- Replace the cover and apply some pressure to secure the key fob back into place.
- Fold the key blade back into the key.
Intelligent Access Key FOB
- For Ford models with the intelligent access key FOBs, pull the metal key out manually to begin the process.
- Then wedge a small coin into the gap where the metal key was located and twist to pop the key cover off.
- Use a flathead screwdriver to remove the battery.
- Replace the old battery with a new one, checking with the owner’s manual to make sure that you have the correct battery. Ensure that the new battery is in the same position as the previous battery, with the plus side facing up.
- Secure the key fob casing back into place with a little pressure.
- Remember to replace the metal key and you are done.
As there are plenty of different types of key fobs, it is recommended to check your owner’s manual to ensure the correct battery replacement process for your key if your key is neither a fold key blade FOB nor an intelligent access key FOB. If you require further information or assistance, feel free to contact our dealership.
Shop for New and Used Ford Vehicles at Whitecourt Ford
Whether you are looking for new or pre-owned Ford vehicles, we here at Whitecourt Ford can help.